Tuesday, January 27, 2015

An Alternative to Project 333

One of my goals/resolutions this year was to do another round of Project 333 (like I did this time last year), but when it came time to choose favorite items to wear, I just couldn't narrow it down. Over the past year or two, I have gotten rid of a lot of clothing that I just didn't love. And I still do that whenever I find something that I don't like anymore. Or if I wear it and it bothers me, it goes out that night, whether it be to the giveaway pile or the trash. 

But I simply could NOT limit myself to 33 items this year. Last year I couldn't do it either, although I did follow the other rule of removing things that didn't fit or didn't wear that often. For the most part, those things have been given away this year, and yet I still have about 12 skirts, 10 sweaters, 7 dresses, 10 casual tops, about 5 blouses/button down shirts, 5 pairs of jeans, 5 pairs of dress pants, and 7 or 8 jackets. Not to mention the shoes and purses. 

However, at least in this past year, when I bring something into the house, something goes out. Amazingly, I only bought one or two pairs of shoes last year. My mindset has definitely changed. I have a pair of rain boots that I bought about 5 years ago, and they are on their way out. But instead of just rushing right out and buying another pair, I'm giving this pair one more season, and then I'll buy a pair of Hunter boots at the end of winter. I am finally investing in higher quality shoes because it is worth it. 

So to make sure I am wearing ALL of the clothes in my closet, I decided to have a theme each week, and that would limit my choices and force me to wear everything at least once. The thing that started me on this idea was when my mother in law got me aqua nail polish for Christmas. I decided to try it and I really liked it, so I looked in my closet to see what I could wear with it. I don't have a lot of that color, but I successfully pulled together five outfits that matched my nail polish in some capacity. I might have worn black pants and a white top, but I also wore a scarf that had teal in it. 

The second week was gray, the third week (last week) was animal print, and this week is stripes. 

I'm working from home today but I wore a striped shirt yesterday and I'll be doing the same tomorrow and the rest of the week. My striped item will probably be a top each day, because aside from a scarf or two, the only striped things I own are tops. 

This has helped me tremendously so far with simplifying my outfit options and forcing me to be creative. I am really enjoying this self-induced challenge. I may even photograph my outfits and post them.

Are you doing Project 333 or are you doing something else to make sure you wear what you have? 

No comments:

Post a Comment