Saturday, December 21, 2013

"Classy Minimalist" Christmas Decor?

This year, in an effort to declutter, I planned to cut way back on my Christmas decorations. I was aiming for "classy minimalist."

I failed.

I still think I overdid it. Behold...my mantle. Or rather, one wall of my house.




Even though this is considerably less than I have done in the past, I still feel like it might be too much. Unrelated, but we do hang stockings; the gloves just happen to be there because we used the fireplace the day before.

Still, one of my favorite things are the small "twinkle" lights that most people use to adorn their houses during the holidays. The lights on the mantle will stay up all year long, because they make me happy.

The fireplace is a big reason we bought the house. My hosue is a twin, and I didn't think that twins had fireplaces. When I saw this, I was sold. I love my fireplace and don't think I could ever live in a house without one now. We didn't have one in my childhood home, and it was a foreign concept anyway. But it's just one more thing that makes me very happy.

This area will look much different when the holidays are over and the tree is gone. I am already decluttering a few bookcase to put on each side of the fireplace. Pictures will be forthcoming.

How about you? Is there any feature in your home that you really love?

How do you handle holiday decorations?

I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying reading through your young blog as you struggle with change but I just want to say keep at it, it's an ongoing process and as you identified here, it makes you happy! Who is to say what is too much or too little, if it makes you happy?! There are no rules but what you yourself want to commit to. Strength!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by and the positive feedback! I just took a look at your blog and your pictures are beautiful. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete